If you have a story for Handball News, please mail it to newsdesk@snowdons.co.uk or call 07866004382

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ruislip Eagles Battle to Win over London GD

RUISLIP Eagles climbed to the top of the English National League’s southern section after securing a nail-biting one-point victory over reigning champions London GD at Leyton on Sunday.

The match was close throughout, but the Eagles emerged 24-23 winners after a late fast break goal from Ludovic Cros.

Ruislip made a slow start against the London GD, who raced into a 8:2 lead after a few minutes. The Eagles had to endure the unfortunate injury of key player Akos Weress and suffered too many missed shots and turnovers, which were instantly punished by their opponents.

However the Eagles managed to stay calm and composed by regrouping in defence with the entrance of the goalie Andrius Rinkevicius. With a few fast breaks - and David Sedlacek scoring seven-metre shots - Ruislip were able to crawl back and were down by two goals at half time (11-13).

With a positive half time speech the Eagles came back on court with a more aggressive defence who troubled GD. Important goals from Sedlacek, Lucas and seven-metre shots from Erwann Laperdrix allow Ruislip to take the lead, but the rollercoaster continued until the closing stages of the game.

Some clear chances that could have given some breathing space were not converted though and battling GD refused to lie down and always scored when they needed. Both teams were made to work hard until the end but on a fast break Ludovic Cros scored the crucial winning goal.

In other action in the southern section, Cambridge drew 21-21 with Olympia. For Cambridge, Zsolt Majoras scored six, while Mohamed El Hawary and Toufik Hadadou both scored the same number for Olympia.

In the Women’s National League, six goals from Prescyllia Engala helped London GD cruise to a 13-27 victory over Thames.

* In the northern section, fifth-placed Deva’s expectations of moving into the top four were shattered when they lost out to Speke Garston following a resolute determined performance form the Liverpool team.

Defences were tight in the opening ten minutes, but Liverpool Speke Garston were in front at 4-3. Strong defensive work curbed a Deva attack which could not find a way through the home team’s defence, the score at half time 13-6 to Liverpool Speke Garston.

Regrouping at half time, Deva came out fighting and matched the home side goal for goal during the second period and gradually chipped away at the goal difference once again with both defences strong.

With ten minutes to go both teams incurred a series of time suspensions that disrupted both teams, particularly Liverpool Speke Garston, who went down to four men on court. Deva capitalised and closed the deficit to three goals. But in the end the damage done in the first half was too much for Deva and the home side ran out winners at 31-28. It was a well deserved first victory of the season for the Liverpool Speke Garston team.

Elsewhere in the northern section, Nottingham and Manchester drew 18-18, while University of Manchester beat Leeds Hornets 29-25.

No comments:

Post a Comment