If you have a story for Handball News, please mail it to newsdesk@snowdons.co.uk or call 07866004382

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

In-Form Glasgow March into Last Four of Scottish Cup

Glasgow maintained their late season form with a convincing 59-21 victory over East Kilbride in the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup, and now go forward to the semi finals where they face Tryst.

Following their recent draw with the league Champions Gracemount, Glasgow proved too strong for a young East Kilbride side.

The early part of the match Glasgow dominated but East Kilbride had a much better second half after only scoring eight goals in the first half.

The scoring was led by veteran player Mick Lavery with seven goals with another good performance from Colin Reid with four goals who is still only 15 years old.

The scoring for Glasgow was led by Seb Klotz with 15 goals. The season is now over for East Kilbride but they have shown great improvement throughout the year and with a young squad can look forward to making more impression next season.

Tryst reached the semi finals after beating a weakened Liberton side 53-14.
Liberton had several of their players stuck abroad and had lost one of their key student players, but they showed heart throughout the match and never gave up.

They had a young team made up of some up-and-coming Scottish youngsters. It was one of these - Blair Strachan who led the way with five goals in the match and is really starting to show his potential.

The Tryst team were a mix of youth and experience with long-serving player James Yule leading their scoring with 10 goals followed closely by another of the old guard Chris McManus with nine goals making a rare appearance for this match.

His strength on the line proved very difficult for the Liberton team throughout the match. Young player Darren Fisher showed how much he has improved this season with some clinical finishing on the wing with six goals.

Glasgow University were making an appearance in the Scottish Cup after an absence from Scottish Handball competition since the 1980s, but lost out 37-15 to league champions Gracemount.

The match was very close in the initial stages with Glasgow only trailing 7-4. But the experience of the champions told in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment